Calling all durbaniters..
Winter is almost upon us as I am sure you are EXTREMELY AWARE & can feel it already.
So me reminding you is insane and cruel, actually.
But while we site in front of our heaters, curled up on the couch with blankies and snuggling down with our lover-lovers, we should take a moment and consider those that have much less than us.Those that are on the street or just living with the bare essentials.
Enter BRILLIANT initiative:
THE TWITTER BLANKET DRIVE
The Twitter Blanket Drive (TBD) is a uniquely South African, community-driven response to the needs of the poor during the winter months of the year.
Initiated in 2010 by Founder, Melanie Minnaar, the Twitter Blanket Drive started with a single tweet:
What if each person on Twitter donated a blanket?
Since then, the Twitter Blanket Drive movement has grown exponentially. In 2012, 13 000 blankets were collected by the Twitter Blanket Drive and donated to organisations who assist the needy, homeless and indigent. All beneficiaries of the Twitter Blanket Drive are verified Non-Profit Organisations (NPOS), as registered with the Department of Social Development. All beneficiaries for the national drive are verified through national networking organisation, info4africa (www.info4africa.org.za).
For 2013, events will be held across the country on 25 May.
Events take on the form of a “Tweetup”, whereby Twitter users tweet about donating their blankets and all enjoy a meal or drink at the collection point.
This year, Durban’s collection points will be branches of your favourite froyo joint, Wakaberry! Whilst the main collection point for Durban will be the Durban North Branch, blanket collection boxes will also be available at Florida Road, Kloof and Umhlanga.
The Durban TBD2013 event will be collecting blankets for KwaCare. KwaCare operates soup kitchens and provides food parcels to needy families, with a focus on assisting orphans, vulnerable children and child-headed households. Visit their website to find out more about this inspirational project – www.kwacare.org.za
How can you help?
- Attend a Twitter Blanket Drive event in your town. If you’re in Durban, come along to the Durban North branch of Wakaberry on 25 May, between 12h00 and 20h00. Collection boxes will also be made available at other branches a week before the event, in case you can’t make it on the day! Facebook event details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/538652986177729/
- Make a cash donation to the Twitter Blanket Drive. Donated funds will be used to purchase more blankets for KwaCare. Bank Details are: Account Name: Twitter Blanket Drive | Bank: First National Bank | Branch: Florida Road (220526) | Account Number: 62410761862 | Reference: Your Twitter Handle or Name.
- Like Twitter Blanket Drive on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TBDZA
- Follow Twitter Blanket Drive on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tbdzaor https://www.twitter.com/TBDAfrica and use the hashtag#TBD2013
- Help with the transport of the blankets from events to beneficiary organisations.
You can also visit the website here: www.tbdafrica.co.za